The YMCA of Central Florida is the largest Y region in the state of Florida with 27 family center locations. Having so many locations meant their database was constantly being updated with new program activities. However, the existing website was not tied to their Oracle database, meaning the search functionality was limited and out-of-date. Another feature of the website that needed to be addressed was mobile. The marketing and IT teams needed the website to be responsive for tablets and smartphones.
KMDG was introduced to the Y team in January of 2014. We both wanted a complete web redesign, but decided to focus on the search and responsive functionality, along with some targeted design enhancements. This ensured the Programs sections would be ready before the open enrollment for Y camps.
Phase I of the redesign began in February and went live in early April. It was an exciting project for us as we were able to execute some innovation technologies on both the front and back end of the website. View website.
Key Enhancements from Phase I:
- Custom integration with Oracle database to power real-time search on the website
- Redesigned and restructured the Programs section
- New home page design for desktop and mobile
- Several interior page graphic and layout updates
- Interactive history timeline widget
- Responsive framework added to the entire website
- Overhauled the WordPress admin interface using custom fields, such as repeaters, to make content entry extremely easy
There are even more enhancements to come in Phase II. Stay tuned…….